While Salman Khan’s Bajrangi Bhaijan is raking in the moolah and rave reviews, there is another film that has surpassed critical acclaim and made it to the top- Baahubali: The Beginning. The film has generated headlines and ticket queues like no other Indian film in recent history. So much so that even our workaholic PM Narendra Modi is tweeting about meeting the star of the film- Prabhas. But the main star is the director of the film- S.S. Rajamouli. Not an unheard name, Rajamouli’s career has been one inspiring stream of hits and success. Here is some interesting trivia you need to know about the award winning director and his career.
1. S. S. Rajamouli was born to the Telugu film screenwriter and director, K. V. Vijayendra Prasad who has been the screenwriter for more than twenty five hit films. It comes as no surprise then, that Vijayendra Prasad is also the screenwriter for Baahubali: The beginning.
2. Rajamouli never really grew up with dreams of being a director. According to him, he got into it because of a lucky accident and nothing more.
3. He first started off by directing commercials under the supervision of legendary director, screenwriter and choreographer K. Raghavendra Rao garu.
4. His first break as a feature film director came with the film ‘Student No 1? in 2001, which had Jr. NTR in the lead role and the movie turned out to be a huge commercial success.
5. After that, he took 2 long years to come up with his next film ‘Simhadri’ and that too, was a super hit.
6. ‘Magadheera’ came out in 2009 and went on to become the highest grossing Telugu Film of all time. He has stated often that this film is very special to him from a professional perspective.
7. His latest blockbuster Baahubali is shot on an Arri alexa XT camera which is one of the most sought after cameras for high budget films and also marks Rajamouli’s first film using a digital camera.
8. He has won multiple National Film Awards so far but the most cherished is his award as the Best Feature Film in Telugu (director) for the film Eega.
9. Each and every film that S.S. Rajamouli has made so far has been dubbed into several languages some including Tamil, Telugu, Bengali, Hindi, Kannada, Malyalam and even Bhojpuri.
10. Baahubali: The Beginning which is a two-part fantasy is the most expensive Indian movie ever made. At Rs 250 crore, it is costlier than Rajinikanth’s Enthiran.